Fighting Zika virus in Brazil: WHO takes urgent measures
The U.S. scientists announced possible pandemic of the virus
On January 28 in Geneva, the World Health Organization (WHO) holds a meeting on urgent measures to combat Zika virus, which spreads across the Carribean region and the Latin America (Radio Liberty).
WHO management decided to hold the session after U.S. scientists said there is a threat of pandemic of Zika fever.
The disease is transmitted by daytime-active mosquitoes and causes inborn defects in children. The defects may lead to brain malfunctions and death. The virus is especially dangerous for the pregnant; scientists say it can cause microcephalism to a fetus.
Currently, the sickness cases are reported in more than 20 countries of the Carribean region, North and South America. Another case most recently was reported in Europe.
Watch the video:
WHO takes measures to fight Zika virus
On January 28 in Geneva, the World Health Organization (WHO) holds a meeting on urgent measures to combat the Zika virus, which spreads across the Carribean region and the Latin America. The WHO management decided to hold the session after U.S. scientists said there is a threat of pandemic of Zika fever.Read more: http://112.international/society/fighting-zika-virus-in-brazil-who-takes-urgent-measures-2341.htmlОпубліковано 112.UA International 28 січня 2016 р.
No treatment or vaccine against Zika has been found yet. The only way to cope with the virus is to terminate the insects that spread the disease.
The virus was first isolated in 1947 from a rhesus macaque in the Zika Forest of Uganda and in 1968 was isolated for the first time from humans in Nigeria. No sickness cases were reported in the Americas until 2014.
- UA & EU20:19"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:33"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:45Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
- SOCIETY14:03Belavia’s passenger plane forcibly landed in Zhuliany airport in Kyiv
- POLITICS13:13Lutsenko: Every third local prosecutor replaced across Ukraine
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars