EurekAlert: New research finds female mosquitoes can transmit Zika virus to their eggs and offspring
Killing only adult mosquitoes may not end Zika outbreaks
As the recent Miami outbreak of Zika virus, transmitted by the bite of female "Aedes aegypti "mosquitoes, prompts an all-out war on the pest, new research reveals that female mosquitoes can pass the virus on to their eggs and offspring, bolstering the need for larvicide use as an integral part of the effort to stop the spread of the virus.
"The implications for viral control are clear," said study co-author Robert Tesh, MD, at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, Texas. "It makes control harder. Spraying affects adults, but it does not usually kill the immature forms -- the eggs and larvae. Spraying will reduce transmission, but it may not eliminate the virus."
The study, "Vertical transmission of Zika virus in "Aedes aegypti "mosquitoes," was published online today in the "American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.
"Since Zika virus has emerged as a global health emergency, most research has focused on the virus and its effects on humans. There is far less research on the virus in its mosquito host," said Tesh. "But if you want to control Zika, you also have to know about the behavior of this virus in mosquitoes."
Read the full article here.
- UA & EU13:30MP: Netherlands should take responsibility for decision on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- FINANCE12:17IMF mission delays visit to Ukraine
- POLITICS11:29Savchenko: ‘I came to support Ukrainians – even if I don’t leave Russia alive’
- POLITICS10:44Trump: Hillary could bring the U.S. to WWIII
- POLITICS10:00Savchenko reaches Russian court as hearing in Karpyuk, Klykh cases goes on
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:21OSCE SMM in Donbas reports limited access to disengagement areas
- UA & EU08:39Klimkin visits Netherlands to promote EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- UKRAINE CRISIS 07:53Donbas: 122 mm shells hit Bohuslavske, Luhansk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas