DW.com: Spain records first case of baby born with Zika virus-linked defect
The mother was diagnosed in May and decided to keep the baby
A spokeswoman for the regional health authorities of Barcelona, where the baby was born on Monday morning by Caesarean section after 40 weeks of pregnancy, said the a woman infected with the Zika virus had given birth to a baby with the brain-damaging disorder microcephaly.
The mother, who has not been identified, reportedly caught the virus on a trip abroad. Authorities declined to say where, although a hospital source told the news agency Reuters she had been infected in Latin America, where the virus is prevalent.
"The baby did not require any resuscitation," Felix Castillo, neonatal chief at the Vall d'Hebron hospital in Barcelona, told a press conference. Its vital signs were "normal and stable," he said.
Read the full article here.
Poroshenko to meet with Stoltenberg in Brussels 20 October, 10:25
Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship 23 October, 13:14
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:37Donetsk, Luhansk militants against armed OSCE mission in Donbas
- SOCIETY15:47112 Ukraine TV Channel wired to explode
- POLITICS14:47Ukraine summons Syrian diplomat to protest against recognition of Crimea’s occupation
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:01No fatalities among Ukrainian servicemen in Donbas over last 24 hours
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain