Donbas is a black hole spreading dangerous infections, - International HIV/AIDS Alliance in Ukraine
Today is the World AIDS Day
The international society marks the World AIDS Day. The International HIV/AIDS Alliance in Ukraine released a report noting that because of tough economic situation, military conflict in the East of Ukraine, humanitarian crisis, and large-scale internal migration, the risks of spread of infectious diseases increase tens of times.
“Though the war has not influenced the official HIV statistics yet, the indicators among key populations are already aggravating. Thus, according to a recent biobehavioral study conducted by Alliance, HIV prevalence among people who inject drugs in Donetsk grew by 30% (from 26.5 to 34.7%), and in Luhansk – more than twice (from 3.2 to 7.3%)”, said the report.
According to the Alliance’s data, currently, there are 127,400 people living with HIV officially registered with AIDS centers in Ukraine, though the estimated number of such people is over 217,500 (almost 0.5% of the general population).
“Ukraine continues suffering from the HIV/AIDS epidemic, and the year 2015 was not an exception”, the message concludes.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
- SOCIETY14:30Sushchenko needs to be exchanged, - lawyer
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case