Prominent Ukrainian astronomer Klim Churyumov died
He is a discoverer of comets Churyumov-Gerasimenko and Churyumov-Solodovnikov
On 80th year of life died world-renowned scientist, astronomer Klim Churyumov.
He was born on February 19, 1937 in Odessa. Klim was the fourth of eight children of Ivan and Antonina Churyumov. His father was killed during the Second World War in 1942.
In 1949, Churyumov family moved to Kyiv. After the seventh grade, he entered the Kyiv railway technical school, and graduated with honors in 1955.
Then he enrolled in the physics department of the Kyiv State University of Taras Shevchenko (specialty "Physics-Astronomy"). In 1960, after graduation he was sent to the geophysical polar station in the Bay of Tiksi Yakut ASSR. There he studied the auroras, telluric currents and the ionosphere.
In 1962, he returned to Kyiv, began working at the plant "Arsenal", where he participated in the development of astro-navigation equipment for space rockets and tested it at Baikonur and Plesetsk.
In September 1969, together with graduate student Svetlana Gerasimenko while observing the comet Comas Sola, he made a photo, which turned out to be another comet, called by the name of the pioneers - "Comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko" (67P / Churyumov-Gerasimenko). For the discovery of the comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko, he was awarded the Medal of Astro Council of the USSR "for the discovery of new astronomical objects."
Churyumov published more than 800 scientific publications, including 4 monographs and 4 textbooks.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas conflict: 21 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- POLITICS23:07Yanukovych can not be interrogated due to absence of video conferencing system
- FINANCE22:17Poland Deputy PM: Doubling of minimum salary in Ukraine is unpleasant surprise
- POLITICS21:34Russia is not re-elected to UN Human Rights Council
- SOCIETY20:43Savchenko’s declaration: Sister’s cars and mother’s land
- UA & EU20:04Schulz: European Parliament is on Ukraine’s side
- SOCIETY19:14Halloween is coming in Ukraine
- UA & EU18:43Tusk: EU needs to complete internal procedures for granting visa liberation to Ukraine
- UKRAINE CRISIS 17:59Russian aviation drill airstrikes in Belarus airspace near Ukrainian border, - intelligence
- POLITICS17:29Russian forces may reach Tallinn and Riga in 60 hours max, - RAND report
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case