December 5 is International Volunteer Day
Ukraine marks the International Volunteer Day
On Saturday, Ukraine marks the International Volunteer Day, international observance designated by the United Nations since 1985.
Prime Minister Arseniy Yatseniuk congratulated Ukrainian volunteers on the holiday. “The day became very special in Ukraine. Thousands of volunteers stood up for their motherland in these challenging times. The young and the old, entrepreneurs and workers, residents of various regions and different views understood that the fate of their country and the future of their children depend on them”, says the message posted on the government’s official website.
Yatseniuk wished strength and enthusiasm all those who marks this day with wounded soldiers at hospitals, with children at care homes – “all those helping their neighbors”.
The International Volunteer Day offers an opportunity for volunteer organizations and individual volunteers to celebrate their work, share their values and promote themselves to wider circles – such as communities, NGOs, UN bodies, governments and the private sector. Every day, thousands of volunteers make visible their contributions – at local, national and international levels – to the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals.
Since December 2013, the volunteer movement became one of Ukraine’s most outstanding social phenomena. During nation-wide mass protests of late 2013 – early2014 and Russia’s military aggression that followed in spring 2014, volunteers supported the society, giving a helping hand to their compatriots wherever necessary.
112.International joins the compliments on the International Volunteer Day and heartily congratulates Ukrainian volunteers on this great holiday.
Below you’ll find images of some of Ukraine’s most famous volunteers who now help the army in the Donbas conflict:
The founder and leader of “Wings of Phoenix” (one of Ukraine’s largest volunteer ogranizations, est. in March 2014), Presidential Counselor and Assistant to Interior Minister
Luhansk governor who in spring 2014, co-founded and chaired “People’s Rear”, another volunteer organization helping Ukrainian servicemen
She sold her business and joined the volunteer movement in spring 2014. Tetyana lost her husband on the war in summer 2014 but never ceased to help the military
More about volonteers see: Great Heart. The most famous volonteers of Ukraine (Original text in Ukrainian)
Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas 26 October, 19:34
Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors 26 October, 20:56
Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics 26 October, 21:49
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
- FINANCE18:44Groysman provides electronic declaration of his possessions
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case