Christians of Eastern Rite celebrate Christmas Eve
Ukrainians mark the holiday, too
Christians of the Eastern Rite celebrate the Christmas Eve. On January 6, the holiday is marked by all Ukraine’s Orthodox Churches, Jerusalem, Russian, Serbian and Georgian Orthodox Churches, as well as ancient monasteries at Mount Athos, Greek Catholics, Armenian Apostolic Church, some groups of protestants and Coptic Orthodox Church.
According to the Biblical story, on this day in Bethlehem, Virgin Mary gave birth to Jesus Christ. The shepherds were the first to greet the newborn. Later, wise men from the East visited the boy with the sacraments.
The Christmas Eve is the final day of the Christmas Lent.
It is a custom at Christmas Eve to restrain from having a meal until the first star rises in the sky. Afterthat, thebelieversbegintocelebrate. Another widespread custom is to put 12 Lenten dishes. The next day, churchgoers can also have meat.
Singing carols is also an inseparable part of celebrating Christmas in Ukraine. The carols are called “kolyadky” in Ukrainian. Those who sing them walk family-to-family, bringing people the great news – the birth of the son of God. The family gathers at the festive table, saying “The Christ is born! Glorytohim!”
Patriarch Filaret, Leader of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kyiv Patriarchate will lead the all-night vigil on the occasion of the Christmas. The service will be held in the St. Volodymyr’s Cathedral in Kyiv.
Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas 27 October, 16:03
IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November 27 October, 15:17
Sushchenko needs to be exchanged, - lawyer 27 October, 14:30
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case