Ukrainians form ‘chain of unity’ in Kyiv on Vyshyvanka Day
The day dedicated to traditional Ukrainian costume has been celebrated throughout the country for 10 years
A flashmob has congregated in central Kyiv to celebrate Ukraine’s national ostume. Vyshyvanka Day (held annually on the third Thursday of May) aims to promote the country’s rich cultural heritage and independence, especially in the face of Russian aggression in Crimea and Donbas.
A TV correspondent from the news outlet 112 Ukraine described the event.
"At this moment people begin to join arms and so join Sofiivska and Mykhailivska Square. Those living on the right bank of Kyiv, gathered in Sofiivska square, and those living on the left bank gathered in Mykhailivska square. There are a lot of people and it wouldn’t be difficult for them to make a living chain in the center of Kyiv. People came in embroidered shirts, they sing folk songs and the national anthem of Ukraine, some folk ensembles are also here to entertain visitors "
112 Ukraine TV Channel wired to explode 24 October, 15:47
Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators 21 October, 22:18
Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away 24 October, 19:37
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
- FINANCE18:44Groysman provides electronic declaration of his possessions
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case