Breaking Bad: US to assist Ukraine in combating drug-related crimes
US Drug Enforcement Administration experts positively assessed Ukraine's fight against drug crimes
September 7, 2015 the working meeting between representatives of U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Ministry of Justice in Kazakhstan, and Ukrainian side was held in Kyiv, states the press office of Ministry of Internal Affairs.
The issues of cooperation in combating drug crime were discussed by the sides. Ukraine is one of the countries through which the narcotic and psychotropic substances are transited to Central and Western Europe. Therefore, special attention was paid to the activities of international channels of drugs transition.
DEA representatives positively assessed the activity of law enforcement bodies of Ukraine on combating drug crime, as said in the statement. They expressed their hope that this meeting will become a prerequisite for further close cooperation.
According to National Institute on Drug Abuse, drug consumption has a group character in the Ukraine. Opium poppy straw extract continues to be the main drug of choice. Marijuana is growing in popularity among young people and use of synthetic drugs is appearing with increasing frequency. Hard drugs such as cocaine and heroin are too expensive for the average Ukrainian citizen, so their levels of abuse are still not significant.
From the beginning of the 1990’s the numbers of drug dependant grow annually by 10-12 percent, 27 percent of them are adults, 60 percent are teenagers and 13 percent are children, aged from 11 to 14 years. Drug addicts, aged 20-30 years, are becoming a prevailing category of users, and this is a distinguishing feature in recent years, which corresponds with the general European tendency. In 2002, the Ukraine registered the highest, and among the fastest-growing, rates of HIV infection in all of Eastern Europe.
Nuland goes to Moscow to discuss Donbas 4 October, 08:37
Pentagon spots unsuccessful launch of North Korea ballistic missile 16 October, 13:07
Putin is ready to negotiate with any US president 26 October, 16:26
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
- FINANCE18:44Groysman provides electronic declaration of his possessions
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case