Blast at Ukroboronprom facility: No negligence during ammunition recycling
The procedure was carried out properly, though the shells were out-of-date, - survivor in the accident
One of the injured workers at the defense industry enterprise in Sumy region (northeastern Ukraine) said there was no reckless disregard allowed during the ammunition recycling procedure.
A correspondent of 112 Ukraine TV channel reported with reference to the wounded worker that the bombs were over 50 years old. There were 15 of them. The workers had disposed of seven shells at the time; eight more were to go.
‘The injured man says he’s been working here for nine years now and nothing like that ever happened before. When asked if the explosion took place due to reckless disregard, he denied, saying the procedure went as always, under respective order and technology.
As 112 International reported, the blast took place at the Chemicals Research and Development Institute in Krolevets district, Sumy region. The entity is part of Ukroboronprom, Ukraine’s largest defense enterprise. The blast took place at about 4.30 p.m. Thursday, while the staff was unloading ammunition that was supposed to be disposed of. The authority reports that three people got killed by an aviation missile explosion; one of them was NATO representative in Ukraine. Two more received severe injuries and were submitted to hospitals.
The military prosecutor’s office of Sumy region currently examines three versions of the accident and, respectively, three possible reasons of the blast: self-detonation of the missile due to the change of its chemical properties, caused by the long storage period; presence of an unauthorized highly explosive item that went off during the works; and breach of safety regulations during the disposal procedure.
Donbas: Avdiivka under mortar fire 13 October, 23:58
- SOCIETY14:03Belavia’s passenger plane forcibly landed in Zhuliany airport in Kyiv
- POLITICS13:13Lutsenko: Every third local prosecutor replaced across Ukraine
- RUSSIA12:28Klykh grew insane due to tortures in Russia, - human rights defender
- RUSSIA11:46Russia presents FIFA World Cup 2018 mascot
- RUSSIA11:01Justice Minister: ‘Kremlin will recognize Sentsov, Kolchenko’s Ukrainian citizenship’
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:17Donbas: ‘Grad’ missile launchers shell Troitske, Luhansk region
- SOCIETY09:30UN Security Council: Assad regime responsible for three chemical attacks
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 16 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- POLITICS23:21MPs to increase themselves salaries as of November 1
- SOCIETY22:18Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars