Belarusian author of Ukrainian descent won Nobel Literature Prize
Belarusian journalist and writer Svetlana Alexievich was born in Ivano-Frankivsk, Western Ukraine
The Nobel Prize in Literature for 2015 is awarded to the author Svetlana Alexievich, The Royal Swedish Academy announced. Belarusian journalist and writer of Ukrainian descent was honoured "for her polyphonic writings, a monument to suffering and courage in our time."
The winner was born on May 31, 1948 in Ivano-Frankivsk, Western Ukraine, and later moved to Belarus.
Svetlana Alexievich got international recognition for her books on World War II, Chernobyl, Chechen war written in original manner of blending the journalism and literature. Her works translated into more than 20 languages and brought numerous prestigious international awards.
She became famous for her book “War's Unwomanly Face” (1988) which brought her Ryszard Kapuściński Award for literary reportage in 2011. And in 2015 the same award won her another book "Time Second Hand", which describes the phenomenon of "Soviet person" twenty years after the fall of USSR, Colta.ru reports.
Also, the New York Times claims that Svetlana Alexievich in the US best known for her “Voices from Chernobyl: The oral history of a nuclear disaster”. "The book, which won the National Book Critics Circle Award, is a compilation of interviews with survivors of the nuclear reactor accident. She spent 10 years visiting the Chernobyl zone, and conducted more than 500 interviews," the New York Times said.
Nuland goes to Moscow to discuss Donbas 4 October, 08:37
Poroshenko invites American companies to join National Investment Council 28 September, 19:33
Pentagon chief expresses need for nuclear weapons to deter Russia’s threat 27 September, 08:33
- UA & EU20:19"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:33"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:45Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
- SOCIETY14:03Belavia’s passenger plane forcibly landed in Zhuliany airport in Kyiv
- POLITICS13:13Lutsenko: Every third local prosecutor replaced across Ukraine
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars