Showdown among cigarette smugglers at Ukraine-EU border
The incident took place in Zakarpattya region, at the border with EU
According to governor of Zakarpattya region Hennadiy Moskal, the smugglers went for a shootout in Nyzhnia Apsha village. The region is adjacent to the border with Romania, the EU member country.
‘The residents of Mukachevo town tried to sort it out with locals from Tyachiv district, Zakarpattya region. The latter are infamous for smuggling cigarettes through the woods from Ukraine to Romania. The two groups quarreled, then a fight occurred. Then, one of the Tyachiv group took a sub-machinegun and opened chaotic fire on the opponents. More than 20 rounds were fired’, Moskal said.
Four men from Mukachevo group, aged from 22 to 36, received gunshot wounds due to the shooting. All of them were admitted to a hospital; one of them is heavily wounded.
The reason of the conflict, in Hennadiy Moskal’s words, is that Tyachiv group didn’t pay debts for the cargo received from Mukachevo. The smugglers from Tyachiv group lost the cargo as they were trying to move it through the border. " " " " " " "
The local police commented on the situation, stressing that the conflict was short-lived, it took from five to ten minutes. According to them, the shooting began as one of the Mukachevo group took a baseball bat.
All participants in the showdown were identified and put on the wanted list.
Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine 25 October, 17:32
Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes 25 October, 15:15
Trilateral contact group returns to work in Minsk, - Tandyt 25 October, 13:44
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:43Trilateral Contact Group meeting kicks off in Minsk
- SOCIETY15:05Novel “Airport” nominated for Shevchenko Award in Ukraine
- FINANCE14:58Groysman: Cabinet to raise minimal salary in Ukraine to USD 125
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:14‘DPR’ capture Ukrainian citizen, charge her with preparing to kidnap their comrade
- UA & EU13:30MP: Netherlands should take responsibility for decision on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- FINANCE12:17IMF mission delays visit to Ukraine
- POLITICS11:29Savchenko: ‘I came to support Ukrainians – even if I don’t leave Russia alive’
- POLITICS10:44Trump: Hillary could bring the U.S. to WWIII
- POLITICS10:00Savchenko reaches Russian court as hearing in Karpyuk, Klykh cases goes on
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:21OSCE SMM in Donbas reports limited access to disengagement areas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas