American Prize of Liberty awarded to Russian oppositioner Nemtsov
Award was presented "for a life devoted to the promotion of democracy in Russia"
2015 American liberty Award was awarded posthumously to Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov, Ria.ru. The official ceremony took place September 9 at the International Republican Institute in Washington.The award was received by his friend journalist Vladimir Kara-Murza, who said that Nemtsov was a "black sheep" of Russian political dimension, as he used to freely express his position.
Boris Nemtsov was murdered in central Moscow on the night of February 28. In the 1990s, he held a number of high-ranking posts in the Russian Government, and then he joined the opposition. Investigation into the murder of Russian opposition politician has been extended until November 28. Five suspects were detained in the case.
Also the winners of the award this year became speaker of the house of representatives of the U.S. Congress John Boehner and entrepreneur from Sudanese Mo Ibrahim.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) bestows its Freedom Award for extraordinary contributions to the cause of refugees and human freedom.
- SOCIETY20:43Savchenko’s declaration: Sister’s cars and mother’s land
- UA & EU20:04Schulz: European Parliament is on Ukraine’s side
- SOCIETY19:14Halloween is coming in Ukraine
- UA & EU18:43Tusk: EU needs to complete internal procedures for granting visa liberation to Ukraine
- UKRAINE CRISIS 17:59Russian aviation drill airstrikes in Belarus airspace near Ukrainian border, - intelligence
- POLITICS17:29Russian forces may reach Tallinn and Riga in 60 hours max, - RAND report
- UKRAINE CRISIS 17:1835000 militants and 6000 Russia's officers in Donbas reported
- UA & EU16:31Poroshenko, Junker to discuss EU-Ukraine AA ratification by the Netherlands
- UA & EU15:46Netherlands may delay consultations on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:30Ukrainian Defense Ministry reveals details of Makiivka night attack
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case