Ukrainian hostage had been freed from Mali hotel in Sevare
Ukrainian MFA is trying to find out the personal data of the person
As reported by the press service of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine (MFA) the situation is under special control of the MFA.
"According to the Ukrainian Embassy in Algiers, an anti-terrorist operation was conducted in Sevare (Mali). Byblos Hotel was surrounded by the militants, mobile communications were disabled," as said in a statement.
The Ministry noted that the Ukrainian diplomatic mission keeps a constant contact with the competent authorities of Mali. "Right now we are trying to find the personal data of hostages and, possibly, citizen of Ukraine stays among them," highlighted in a statement.
Two South Africans, one Ukrainian and one Russian tourists were said to have been freed after being trapped inside the hotel, siege started at around 7am (07:00 GMT) on Friday. Security forces of Mali have stormed a hotel in Sevare, what resulted into a deadly siege and freeing several hostages.
The northern part of Mali is controlled by the separatists, so the UN peacekeepers are sent there to carry the mission. This delegaion includes more than 11 thousand soldiers, counting reservists, and about 1.5 thousand police officers, 4 thousand French troops.
The crisis in Mali has become a consequence of the 2011 changing the regime of Muammar Gaddafi, when ethnic Tuaregs launch rebellion after returning with arms from Libya. They occupied the northern part of Mali, and proclaimed an independent state of Azawad. Later, Tuaregs were chased by the extremists.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case