UN rights experts on use of mercenaries come to Ukraine in 2016
Early next year they will visit Ukraine, where, according to their information, are foreign fighters, stated in UN News Center
"In order to investigate this complicated problem Working Group on the use of mercenaries has organized a number of experts meetings in Geneva, and also has visited Tunisia. In October a visit to Belgium is scheduled; at the beginning of next year we will go to Ukraine," said in a statement.
23 July, the United Nations expert group on the use of mercenaries convened a discussion at UN Headquarters in New York to address the issue of the increasing activity of foreign fighters – particularly towards understanding their motivations – and its impact on human rights.
The head of the UN Working Group on the use of mercenaries and group member Gabor Rona stated that currently near 20 thousand foreign fighters from 80 countries are now involved in internal conflicts. About 4 thousand of them come from Western countries, and this number in the last couple of years has doubled. The vast majority of mercenaries come from the Middle East, Russia and countries of the former Soviet Union. According to experts, they participate in conflicts, which take place in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Lebanon, Somalia and Ukraine.
Among the reasons that lead people to fight in a foreign country, UN expert group names a desire to earn money, ideological loyalty and economic grievances, social or political situation in their countries.
The Working Group was established in July 2005 to monitor mercenaries and mercenary-related activities, as well as study and identify sources and causes, emerging issues, manifestations and trends regarding such activities and their impact on human rights, particularly on the right of peoples to self-determination.
35000 militants and 6000 Russia's officers in Donbas reported 28 October, 17:18
Stoltenberg: NATO seeks no confrontation with Russia 28 October, 12:48
Russian forces may reach Tallinn and Riga in 60 hours max, - RAND report 28 October, 17:29
Russia is not re-elected to UN Human Rights Council 28 October, 21:34
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas conflict: 21 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- POLITICS23:07Yanukovych can not be interrogated due to absence of video conferencing system
- FINANCE22:17Poland Deputy PM: Doubling of minimum salary in Ukraine is unpleasant surprise
- POLITICS21:34Russia is not re-elected to UN Human Rights Council
- SOCIETY20:43Savchenko’s declaration: Sister’s cars and mother’s land
- UA & EU20:04Schulz: European Parliament is on Ukraine’s side
- SOCIETY19:14Halloween is coming in Ukraine
- UA & EU18:43Tusk: EU needs to complete internal procedures for granting visa liberation to Ukraine
- UKRAINE CRISIS 17:59Russian aviation drill airstrikes in Belarus airspace near Ukrainian border, - intelligence
- POLITICS17:29Russian forces may reach Tallinn and Riga in 60 hours max, - RAND report
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case