Toxicities from the local career may seep into Dnister River
Ukrainian Ministry of Ecology calls international institutions for help in preventing ecological disaster in Kalush, Ivano-Frankivsk region
Ministry of Ecology is trying to prevent contamination of drinking water sources in Sivka river (Kalush district, Ivano-Frankivsk region), tributary of Dnister, states the press office of the Ministry.
Experts state that the critical point is to come in two years. In the case of ruining the Dombrovsky career, toxic brines will reach Dnister that cause serious environmental consequences not only for Ukraine but also for Moldova and Romania. Even in the XIX century in salt production (which is a traditional industry for this very region) used a technology that ensures ecological security. During the Soviet era nobody thought about what is going to be with the mine after working out, and the next generation of residents faced the brink of ecological disaster.
At the same time, Dnister is the one uncontested source of drinking water in the Odesa region.
In 2010, Kalush and nearest villages were declared to be a zone of ecological emergency, and during 2010-2013 about $52mln were allocated to eliminate the danger.
Dnister River runs through Ukraine, Moldova, Transnistria, and flows toward the Black Sea.
- POLITICS21:30Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:44‘DPR’ militants: Debaltsevo remains
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:01Russia against return of Debaltsevo under control of Ukraine, - Peskov
- UA & EU19:39Czech Senate demands from Russia to stop supporting militants in Donbas, - Gerashchenko
- FINANCE18:44Ukrainian Parliament passes draft law of 2017 state budget in first reading
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:01Normandy Four wants OSCE armed mission to stay in Donbas only during elections
- POLITICS17:58Russian Defense Ministry: humanitarian pause in Syrian Aleppo extended for a day
- RUSSIA17:12Peskov: Putin agrees on placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
- RUSSIA16:30Linkevicius: Lithuania might extend sanctions against Russia
- UA & EU15:42Poroshenko, Hungary PM are to enhance political dialogue between states
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels