"Synagogue space" project: Lviv reveals its Jewish history
Lviv started "Synagogue space" project aimed to create special memorials on the place of destroyed synagogues in former Jewish quarter
The first phase of the project is conservation of remnants of "Golden Rose" synagogue, started on July 20, marking the place of Beth midrash (Jewish study house), located nearby, and the creation of a memorial installation, as informs ZAXID.NET.
The installation includes 39 stelae, 21 of them are quotations from the diaries, memoirs, letters or poems about Lviv written local Jews. They are arranged chronologically: before, during and after the Holocaust. Eight stelae have photos, the rest are empty.
Afterward, the organizers plan to establish memorials at the old Jewish cemetery "Besoleym" and at Yaniv concentration camp (where, according to various estimates, have died from 50 to 200 thousand people).
Development of concepts and documentation of the project lasted for more than five years. By the end of 2016 the project is to be completed. Preserving the "Golden Rose" has to begin by the end of the week. Creating of the memorial area at the place Great City Synagogue is to be finished until 2016.
The projected is implemented by City Council, Center of Urban History and the German Society for International Cooperation (GIZ) in cooperation with Jewish organizations in Ukraine and abroad.
"Golden Rose" is a synagogue, built in 1592-1596 in Lviv, was an architectural monument of the Renaissance, sacred Lviv Jewish community. The building was destroyed with explosives the Nazis in August 1941.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain