Lviv artist went to Donbas conflict zone to paint the icons
This is a story about Ukrainian artist, iconographer, poet, and teacher, a man who just cannot leave you indifferent
Source: The Ukrainians
He looks like a good wizard of Hollywood blockbusters or fantasy tales of our childhood. A long beard, hair tangled the thrilling glance.
Lev Skop, 61 years old Ukrainian artist, poet, and teacher;. He grew up on “Beatles” and created his own rock band “Tsviten” (an archaic Ukrainian world for “April”). Except composing songs, he writes poems. His workroom is in a small church. He never earned huge money, but feels himself to be happy and successful. "To be successful means that you are needed," - says Lev Skop.
Resently he went to Stanytsia Luhanska, Luhans region, to paint an icon of Virgin Mother on the wall of local Place of Culture (club-houses for recreational activities in the former Soviet countries), said Fakty.
I knew it for sure: I’ll handle it unless a sniper's bullet stops me. Well, I was warned that the snipers can "indulge." I refused to take a body armor or a helmet, they were uncomfortable and would not protect from a bullet. When working, I don’t think about the danger. The explosions and shots sounded like a thunder, I turned my face to the forest belt. I wanted the sniper, who may have targeted with his gun, to see not only my back, but face. I wanted to show him that I am not afraid.
Lev Skop was called an "icon of Urkainian Maidan". “I defended my honor and dignity there, - he says in his interview to “TheUkrainians”. - I used to be happy, but after Maidan I became even happier. Maidan gave me such people, for who you can give my life”. At first, he was standing together with all, and then began to paint icons and give them to people. One of these works, icon of the Virgin Mother, painted on Maidan, went around the world.
Now together with other artists Lev Skop sells the paintings and icons, and donate this money for buying equipment for Ukrainian soldiers.
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
- SOCIETY14:31US extends ban on flights of aircraft in Simferopol and Dnipropetrovsk
- UKRAINE CRISIS 13:44Trilateral contact group returns to work in Minsk, - Tandyt
- SOCIETY12:55SBU interrogates Savchenko as witness in Ukraine’s territorial integrity infringement case
- SOCIETY11:58Lutkovska calls on Russia’s Ombudsman to rethink transfer of Sentsov, Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY11:14Groysman: We conduct large-scale reform of local self-government in Ukraine
- SOCIETY10:3180 human rights organizations urge not to allow Russia to UN Human Rights Council
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:43Donbas conflict: 40 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY08:58Netherlands consider two options for MH17 trial
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain