European filmmakers call Putin to release Sentsov facing 23 years of jail
European Film Academy sent a letter to Russia expressing the shock about trial of Ukrainian filmmaker
"In light of tomorrow’s resumption of the trial against Oleg Sentsov - who faces up to 20 years in prison – the Board of the European Film Academy calls for an immediate release of the Ukrainian filmmaker," wrote the filmmakers in their letter August 18. This letter was directed to President Putin, Sergey Naryshkin (Chairman of the State Duma of the Russian Federation), Alexander Bortnikow (Director of the FSB) and other Russian official bodies.
A hearing of the case of Sentsov and Kolchenko is currently held in North Caucasus district military court in Rostov-on-Don, Krymr.com.
Oleh Sentsov was cruelly beaten with special means; he was also strangled with package during inquiry.
According to the latest information, which came from the court, Oleh Sentsov is threatened by 23 years imprisonment in a penal colony , and Olexander Kolchenko may be imprisoned for 12 years. Ukrainian Consul General Vitaliy Moskalenko was reported to join the hearing in Rostov-on-Don.
Sentsov and Kolchenko are accused of having sabotaged railway tracks and electricity lines and planning explosions near the eternal fire memorial and the Lenin monument in Simferopol.
- SOCIETY22:18Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators
- SOCIETY21:39Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY20:34Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:31OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas
- POLITICS19:31Italy’s Renzi forces retreat from new sanctions on Russia
- POLITICS19:14New leak from WikiLeaks: Obama’s emails from 2008 campaign revealed
- UKRAINE TOP 18:35Searches at Kseniya Babych: National Union of Journalists of Ukraine express their concern
- SOCIETY18:17Searches at Kseniya Babych: Investigators believe first interrogation is most important
- POLITICS17:29Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks
- SOCIETY16:40Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russia may have plan to threaten journalists
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars