Despite suffering from cancer, a displaced girl from Donbas makes wonderful quilling decorations
Now 11 years old Olenka from Avdiivka, Donetsk region, feels well after her third chemo session
As most displaced children, Olenka changed place of residence for several times. Currently she is living Kyiv. Olenka used to live in Avdiivka, Donetsk region, together with her parents and a grandmother; a year ago, her mother died of cancer, and her father left. The girl stayed with her grandmother.
Since the beginning of the Donbas conflict, like many other citizens of the town, fled the Russian-backed militants’ bombardment, suffered from severe disasters of war. Only in January 2015 they moved to Dnipropetrovsk, where a local public organization provided them with a shelter in a sanatorium. It looked like their lives were going better; the girl finished 5th grade at school. One day she felt that something clicked in her leg and became difficult to walk or run. The doctors had sad news for the girl: osteosarcoma, or simply cancer.
In total, the child needs to take 6 courses of chemotherapy. Now the girl is after her third chemo session. Fortunatelly, the volunteers from “Vostok SOS” and “Dopomoha Dnipra” IDPs centers helped to find the funds for the girl’s treatment. They supply Olenka and her grandma with all the needed things.
She feels happy with her hobby – quilling.
Dnipropetrovsk is one of the top cities, where IPDs from Donbas. Nearly 85 thousand IDPs from Donbas who fled the military offensive, were forced them to leave their homes and came to Dnipropetrovsk.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 07:53Donbas: 122 mm shells hit Bohuslavske, Luhansk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas