Apple Feast Day in Ukraine
The holiday is held by Orthodox, Greek Catholics and Protestants
Today Christians celebrate Savior of the Apple Feast Day, also known as “Feast of the Transfiguration”.
Ukrainians traditionally call it “Spas”, or “Apple Spas”, as church consecrated apples this day. According to tradition, Christians are allowed to eat apples and fruits, blessed in churches on at the end of the liturgy. According to folklore superstitions, Apple Spas means the onset of autumn. It is believed that the nights after 19 August become cooler. Apple Spas is also called the Meeting of Fall. People say: “When Apple Spas comes, prepare your gloves”.
Celebration of the Savior of the Apple Feast Day confesses connection in Christ two principles - human and divine. It is believed that this holiday reminds people about the need for spiritual transformation, as well as harvesting apples.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars