600 kilometres of cycle lanes to be constructed in Kyiv, - city hall
22-kilometre-long lane connects both banks of the Dnieper river
A 22-kilometer-long cycle lane spreads from Kyiv's northeastern outskirts of Troyeshchyna to the downtown city. Thus, the route connects both banks of the Dnieper river. Anyone can grab a bike and get from one end of the city to the other in half an hour or so.
It's only the first such lane in Kyiv, as cycle lanes still aren't popular enough in the Ukrainian capital. According to Deputy Head of Kyiv City State Administration Pavlo Ryabikin, the city hall plans to construct a number of lanes with the overall length of 600 km.
"We turned to Ukraine's federation of bicyclists, and together we developed a general scheme of bicycle routes in the city. These are the plans, concepts, ideas that need much time, probably years, to be brought to life", the official said.
The lane connecting Troyeshchyna and Yevropeiska Square in the city centre was under construction for about six months. Kyiv Mayor Vitaliy Klitschko opened it in September 2015 and had it tested immediately. "The lane is safe for driving as it is separated from the roadway. So there are no cars, and bicyclists can ride safely", he said.
Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away 24 October, 19:37
112 Ukraine TV Channel wired to explode 24 October, 15:47
112 Ukraine becomes best news TV channel 2016 27 October, 12:43
- UA & EU18:43Tusk: EU needs to complete internal procedures for granting visa liberation to Ukraine
- UKRAINE CRISIS 17:59Russian aviation drill airstrikes in Belarus airspace near Ukrainian border, - intelligence
- POLITICS17:29Russian forces may reach Tallinn and Riga in 60 hours max, - RAND report
- UKRAINE CRISIS 17:1835000 militants and 6000 Russia's officers in Donbas reported
- UA & EU16:31Poroshenko, Junker to discuss EU-Ukraine AA ratification by the Netherlands
- UA & EU15:46Netherlands may delay consultations on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:30Ukrainian Defense Ministry reveals details of Makiivka night attack
- FINANCE14:13French company to store gas in Ukraine’s underground storages
- SPORT13:32Boxing: Usyk’s next fight set out for December 17
- POLITICS12:48Stoltenberg: NATO seeks no confrontation with Russia
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case