15.000 people stay in penitentiary institutions of occupied territories
Many facilities are destroyed, and the number of dead prisoners is unknown
About 15 thousand Ukrainians remain in the penitentiary institutions of temporarily occupied territories, stated representative of the Verkhovna Rada Commissioner for Human Rights, Head of the Department for the implementation of the national preventive mechanisms Yuriy Belousov, UNN. Many facilities are damaged and destroyed, and the number of dead prisoners is unknown.
"Currently, about 15 thousand people stay there in appalling conditions. Colonies are just bombed out," stated Belousov.
The Commissioner for Human Rights has repeatedly appealed to the Ukrainian Cabinet with a request to organize the transfer of the detainees from the war zone, but with little success. "They simply did not transfer them. As a result, a large number of prisons have been destroyed. And no one can say how many prisoners were killed," noted the representative.
As for today, there are 6 thousand penitentiary institutions in Ukraine, managed by 11 ministries and state departments.
Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes 25 October, 15:15
Trilateral contact group returns to work in Minsk, - Tandyt 25 October, 13:44
Donbas conflict: 40 attacks reported, - ATO HQ 25 October, 09:43
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas