150 anniversary of the birth of Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky
July 29, the celebrations of anniversary from birth of the Metropolian of Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church held from Kyiv and Lviv to Toronto and Chicago
July 25, a monument to Metropolitan Andrei Sheptytsky was established in Lviv. Unveiling of the monument is scheduled for July 29. President Poroshenko is expected to join the event.
The Ukrainian National Museum in Chicago is unveiling a significant exhibit, “Apostle of Peace,” which celebrates the anniversary.
A foot pilgrimage from Lviv to Prylbychi (Lviv region), the native village of Andrey Sheptytsky will be held on July 27-28, and a museum of Metropolian these days will be opened.
Pope Francis approved his life of heroic virtue on July 16, 2015, thus proclaiming him to be Venerable. This recognition is an introductionary step in the beatifcation process that would lead to his canonization as a saint. The gesture has been warmly welcomed and has excited many people across spectra of Ukranian society, which is in line with Sheptytsky’s own storied interest in strengthening ecumenical bonds between various branches of the church.
November 1, 2014 in the Church and in the Ukraine started year Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky. Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine last June voted to marking the 150th anniversary of the birth of Metropolitan at national level.
Metropolitan Sheptytsky led the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church from 1901 until his death in 1944. During his leadership Ukraine and its people were ruled by seven different regimes: Austrian, Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Soviet, Nazi, and finally, the Soviets again. Sheptytsky as Ukrainian leader who sheltered Jews during the Holocaust, maintained with Ukrainian nationalists of that time, but repeatedly argued because of their rejection of violent methods, especially political killings.
- POLITICS15:58Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine
- UKRAINE TOP 15:18Searches at Kseniya Babych: 112 Ukraine TV channel statement
- POLITICS14:44Lutsenko: 20 searches at a time conducted by Ukrainian law enforcers
- UKRAINE TOP 13:54Searches at Kseniya Babych: it is dangerous for Ukrainian journalists to stay in Moscow, - Feygin
- RUSSIA13:22Russia refuses to hand Sentsov over to Ukraine
- POLITICS12:32Searches at Kseniya Babych: No media freedom in Russia for long time already, - Gerashchenko
- UKRAINE TOP 11:51Searches in Moscow flat of Ukrainian journalist Kseniya Babych
- POLITICS11:15Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russian law enforcers search apartment of 112 Ukraine TV channel's reporter in Moscow
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:58Poltorak: Minsk agreements put Debaltseve as Ukrainian territory
- POLITICS10:12Cabinet allocates USD 4.8 mln for development of military technologies
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels