Steinmeier’s statements about Crimea are mockery of free European position, - Bild
German agency criticizes Foreign Minister’s position on events in Crimea
Statements of Foreign Minister of Germany Frank-Walter Steinmeier about the armed aggression of the Russian Federation and the Russian annexation of the Crimea are "a mockery of the free European position". The German newspaper Bild criticized the performance of the German Minister of Foreign Affairs in Yekaterinburg, Russia, DW reports.
According to the newspaper, it could hardly be so implausible from a historical point of view to represent the process of annexation of the Crimea, which totally opposite to international law.
"No one had any doubt that it was a question of an armed, a large-scale attack on a sovereign state. The fact that the German Minister asked the Russian public, whether to worry when Russia sent tanks through the territory of an independent state sounded like a mockery of the single free Europe's position - it lies in the fact that the borders of our continent will never have to be changed with the use of force ", Bild writes.
Talking about the collapse of the Soviet Union, Steinmeier pointed out that many Russians see this as a "catastrophe". "Looking back, a significant number of Russians perceive the collapse of the Soviet Union not as a liberation but as a catastrophe", said the Minister.
"The significant amount" means first of all President Putin. "Catastrophe" is his direct quote. This is the propaganda story that Putin repeatedly tells his people to convince them of the correctness of his aggressive anti-Western policy of revenge ", the news agency writes.
On the whole the newspaper estimates Steinmeier’s speech as "unheard distortion of history, which is beneficial only to the Kremlin, the SPD and the Left, who are more sympathetic to Russia and see the evil primarily in NATO".
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
Steinmeier: Minsk agreements help to prevent fire in the heart of Europe 25 October, 08:16
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case