Russian officials could be banned from 'foreign' Gmail, WhatsApp and Viber apps: Kommersant
A proposal restricting civil servants and military officials from using foreign web applications for official correspondence has been sent to President Vladimir Putin.
The draft measures proposed to the Kremlin stipulate all electronic communication by military officials or civil servants should be made through domestically developed applications, according to a report published by Kommersant on May 30. This could affect popular instant messaging services such as WhatsApp, Viber, and Skype.
The motion was made by Russia’s Economic Development Ministry in an official procurement document issued last week and seen by correspondents at the newspaper.
"For working contacts, it is planned to use only Russian messengers. This position was coordinated with the Ministry of Telecom and Mass Communications, Ministry of Industry and Trade and the Institute of Development of Internet," a representative of the Economic Development Ministry Elena Lashkina told Kommersant.
The issue of using foreign software for correspondence arose after the number of leaks of confidential information rose sharply.
Read the full story (in Russian) here
Playing disengagement 12 October, 20:30
Over past day in ATO zone 3 Ukrainian soldiers were injured, - Lysenko 15 October, 17:07
Ukraine in UN: Occupied Crimea militarization is dangerous for Europe 13 October, 12:38
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars