Russian air group contingent in Syria
The transfer of Russian combat air arm to Syria, according to unofficial information, launched during military exercises held in mid-September
Russian Su-24M and Su-34, Su-25SM attack aircrafts and Mi-24 attack helicopters were deployed in Syria, Kommersant.ru reports, referring to its own sources in the operational military control bodies of Russian Federation.
"At the airdrome Hmeymim near Latakia, there was formed a complete mixed air group of the Su-24M and Su-34 strike aircrafts, Su-25SM attack planes and multi-purpose fighter aircrafts Su-30SM, also attack helicopters Mi-24 and multi-purpose Mi-8 among the armament Russian NASP," newspaper reports.
The transfer of Russian combat air group to Syria, according to unofficial information, launched during military exercises "Center-2015", which took place from 11th till 20th September.
It is reported that four Su-30SM of 120th Mixed Aviation Regiment of Domna airbase, Chita region of Russian Federation, were transferred first to Mozdok, and later escorted by military transport aircraft IL-76 flew over the airspace of Azerbaijan, Iran and Iraq and landed in Latakia.
Kommersant notes that six units of Su-34 got Syria, bypassing Azerbaijan over the Caspian Sea, Iran, and Iraq.
In addition, Russian Defense Ministry does not disclose the total number of troops involved in operations in Syria.
Earlier, the General Staff of Russian Federation stated that military conscripts do not participate in "any activities abroad".
As it was reported before, Russian Air Force laid on the first airstrike in Syria. Russian President Vladimir Putin said that "support for the Syrian army will be carried out from the air, without participation in ground operations." The Russian Defense Ministry said that the strikes destroyed militant command posts of the Islamic state.
The world's media, citing sources, reported that Homs, which was bombed by Russian aviation, was under control of the opposition, not ISIS militants. The same was confirmed by the opposition forces itself.
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin 24 October, 17:23
Merkel, Hollande may discuss sanctions against Russia at EU Summit 20 October, 08:56
Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks 21 October, 17:29
- POLITICS11:29Savchenko: ‘I came to support Ukrainians – even if I don’t leave Russia alive’
- POLITICS10:44Trump: Hillary could bring the U.S. to WWIII
- POLITICS10:00Savchenko reaches Russian court as hearing in Karpyuk, Klykh cases goes on
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:21OSCE SMM in Donbas reports limited access to disengagement areas
- UA & EU08:39Klimkin visits Netherlands to promote EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- UKRAINE CRISIS 07:53Donbas: 122 mm shells hit Bohuslavske, Luhansk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas