Russia takes steps to strenghten strategic nuclear forces - Putin
Russian President noted that such actions are reprisal for missile defense systems deployment by the U.S.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said that Russia will assume the measures to strengthen the strategic nuclear forces, as he stated during another meeting on the situation in the military-industrial complex of Russia, RIA Novosti reported.
According to Putin, it will be a reprisal for the deployment of missile defense systems by the USA.
"Russia will take necessary retaliatory measures to strengthen the capacity of strategic nuclear forces. We will work on the missile defense system. In the first step, as we have repeatedly said, we will work over the strike systems that are able to overcome any missile defense systems," Putin claimed.
Earlier, the Pentagon chief Ashton Carter said the U.S. is ready to defend itself and its allies from Russian aggression with warfare means.
According to the Pentagon, the great concern is a "nuclear weapons sabre-rattling, which casts doubt on the commitment to strategic stability by the Russian leadership."
Ashton Carter stressed that by breaking in Europe the sovereignty of Ukraine and Georgia as well as actively intimidating the Baltic countries, Russia challenges international order.
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russia may have plan to threaten journalists 21 October, 16:40
Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details 21 October, 20:34
Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine 21 October, 21:39
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars