Russia starts military drills near NATO borders
They will be held in regions bordering with Estonia, Latvia and Finland
The command and staff exercises "Interaction 2016" in the Pskov and Leningrad regions, near NATO borders kicked off yesterday, on Aufust 13. They involved more troops and military equipment than in past years. 6,000 soldiers from Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan take part in the drills. A thousand units of weapons, military and special equipment is involved during the training.
Polskie Radio reports this.
During the drills the military will work out the interaction forces "an exacerbation of the conflict situation in one of the border states-members of the Collective Security Treaty regions (whose members are Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan). The training will last until 19 August .
The Pskov region of Russia borders with Estonia and Latvia, Leningrad region is in the west of Estonia and the north-west of Finland.
Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds 20 October, 21:30
NATO Secretary General: Those responsible for MH17 tragedy should be punished 29 September, 08:44
Sweden: Russia aggravates situation in the region 11 October, 12:38
Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine 25 October, 17:32
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas