Reuters: Russia announces war games after accusing Ukraine of terrorist plot
Russian President Vladimir Putin chairs a meeting with members of the Security Council
Vladimir Putin summoned his security council and the Russian Navy announced war games in the Black Sea, a day after the Russian president accused Ukraine of trying to provoke a conflict over Crimea, which Moscow seized and annexed in 2014.
The belligerent posture heightened worries in Ukraine that Russia may plan to ramp up fighting in a war between Kiev and pro-Russian eastern separatists that had been de-escalated by a shaky peace process.
Using some of his most aggressive rhetoric against Kiev since the height of the war two years ago, Putin has pledged to take counter-measures against Ukraine, which he accused of sending saboteurs into Crimea to carry out terrorist acts.
Ukraine has called the accusations false and says they look like a pretext for Russia to escalate hostilities. Such an escalation could be used by Putin to demand better terms in the Ukraine peace process, or to inflame nationalist passions at home ahead of Russian parliamentary elections next month.
The Russian leader met his top military and intelligence service brass on Thursday and reviewed "scenarios for counter-terrorism security measures along the land border, offshore and in Crimean air space," the Kremlin said.
Read the full article here.
Normandy four meeting finished, Poroshenko leaves 20 October, 00:58
Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin 24 October, 17:23
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
- SOCIETY14:30Sushchenko needs to be exchanged, - lawyer
- SOCIETY13:30Moscow court rejects appeal on Sushchenko’s arrest
- SOCIETY12:43112 Ukraine becomes best news TV channel 2016
- SOCIETY11:21Savchenko in Moscow walks on Red Square and visits Ukraine’s Embassy
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case