Peak of economic problems in Russia not over yet, - ex-Finance Minister
In November, the economic situation in the country worsened
Russia still hasn’t overcome the peak of its economic and financial problems, said Alexei Kudrin, Russia’s former Finance Minister and Head of the Committee for Civil Initiatives (zn.ua).
“Some time ago, many experts, and me too, thought the Russian economy already hit the bottom or, in other words, overcome the peak of the crisis. But currently, we see additional deteriorations in this area, which took place in November”, Kudrin said.
According to him, the economic situation is unstable for now. “Another – and even more serious – issue at hand is the rough fall in oil prices. If the prices stay at the same level for another half a year, we will witness further deterioration of the economic situation. Thus, we really can’t say the peak of our problems is behind”, Kudrin noted.
He added that 2016 will be a “serious challenge” for the Russian economy. “The government expenditures will decrease, and it’s inevitable, because the incomes will go down, too. The next year’s inflation will be about 7.9 percent, not the 6.4 mentioned in the official forecast”, Kudrin said.
December 1, Brent oil prices fell to USD 39 per a barrel – for the first time in seven years. Amid the lowering oil prices, Russian ruble cheapens, too. The dollar’s current exchange rate is 69.96 rubles, and the euro’s – 76.
In August, Russia’s Federal State Statistics Service reported that in Q2 2015, Russia’s GDP decreased by 4.6 percent compared with the same period last year. It’s the worst index since the 2009 economic recession.
Free Sentsov action at Ukraine’s film festival in Poland 23 October, 10:33
33 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ 23 October, 11:23
American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning 23 October, 18:54
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:37Donetsk, Luhansk militants against armed OSCE mission in Donbas
- SOCIETY15:47112 Ukraine TV Channel mined
- POLITICS14:47Ukraine summons Syrian diplomat to protest against recognition of Crimea’s occupation
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:01No fatalities among Ukrainian servicemen in Donbas over last 24 hours
- SPORT12:30Klitschko: I hope to get my champion titles back this year
- FINANCE11:41Ukrzaliznytsia company evades taxes at sum of USD 50 million
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:58Steinmeier: EU might fall
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:15Bezsmertny: Real ‘disengagement line’ and one defined in Minsk agreements are different
- POLITICS09:28Chyigoz case: Another court session to be held on Monday
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:46Donbas: Mines hit Ukrainian positions in Luhansk region
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars