Norway upgrades army for protection from unpredictable Russia
Norway announces major strengthening of its defense capability and modernization of military sector to protect against Russia
According to UNIAN, Norway plans to increase its defense budget by 17.5 billion euros over the next 20 years under the new law, submitted by the Government.
"Unfortunately, the geopolitical circumstances have changed a lot in recent years, and not for the best”, Prime Minister Erna Solberg said at a press conference in Oslo on June 17.
“We have more and more unpredictable neighbor in the East, which strengthens its military capabilities and has shown a willingness to use military force as a political tool", she added.
The law aimed at the modernization of the army, and includes both the preservation of existing resources and the acquisition of new weapons. Norway plans to buy 52 F-32 fighter planes of the fifth generation and four submarines, as well as the new aircraft naval surveillance, which will replace six outdated P-3 Orion patrol aircraft.
Currently, the military forces of the country "are not adapted to the current geopolitical situation", said the head of the Norwegian government, calling the Armed Forces modernization plans "the most ambitious since the end of the Cold War."
The law on military update must be approved by the Norwegian parliament.
Trump: Hillary could bring the U.S. to WWIII 26 October, 10:44
Putin is ready to negotiate with any US president 26 October, 16:26
Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics 26 October, 21:49
Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences 26 October, 17:15
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
- FINANCE18:44Groysman provides electronic declaration of his possessions
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case