Lavrov: US actions force countries to think about obtaining nuclear weapons
Bringing examples of North Korea and Libya of Qaddafi era, he argues that United States "does not touch" only nuclear states
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that the actions of the US force many countries to think about obtaining nuclear weapons for defensive purposes. This he said in an interview with "First Channel", according to "Interfax".
As an example, he names Libya and North Korea.
"After the refusal of Muammar Qaddafi (ex-leader of Libya - Ed.) of nuclear weapons program very soon something happened to him that probably no one wish for himself. A number of leaders, including Libya's neighboring countries, began seriously thinking and talking about it. If this happened with Qaddafi when he went voluntarily for cooperation, and North Korea has weapons, and nobody recognizes it as an official nuclear power, but no one touches, why shouldn't them get such a right? "- Says Lavrov.
Yesterday the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Germany Frank-Walter Steinmeier said that the tense relations between the US and Russia are worse than during the Cold War.
- POLITICS09:28Chyigoz case: Another court session to be held on Monday
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:46Donbas: Mines hit Ukrainian positions in Luhansk region
- SPORT08:00Usyk gets WBO Fighter of the Year award
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars