Federation Council of Russia consented to use aircraft in Syria
Russian senators unanimously supported the decision
Federation Council of the Russian Federation consented to use military force in Syria, reported RIA Novosti with reference to Sergei Ivanov, head of Putin’s administration.
"The Federation Council unanimously supported the appeal of the president. 162 votes "for", with no abstentions and votes "against" the use of the Russian Armed Forces abroad in Syria", said in the statement.
Ivanov noted that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad asked Putin for assistance. After the official’s words, it is "solely concerning operations of the Air Force, the use of ground forces is out of question."
The Kremlin press service provides information more extensively than Ivanov. The report states that the request to the Federation Council regards the consent of "use of the Armed Forces of Russian Federation outside the territory of the country on the basis of universally recognized principles and norms of international law."
Earlier, Russia has stepped up military operations in Syria. Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said that the activities of Russia in Syria is defensive in nature and aims to fulfill obligations before legitimate government. conceded that Russia may participate in air strikes on Syrian territory in the fight against ISIS.
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks 21 October, 17:29
Putin is ready to negotiate with any US president 26 October, 16:26
Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin 24 October, 17:23
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
- FINANCE18:44Groysman provides electronic declaration of his possessions
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case