Europe faces new arms race, - Steinmeier
German Foreign Minister calls for new debate with Russia on control over conventional arms in Europe
Security in Europe is under serious threat, so the international community must continue to work for the resumption of arms control. The Foreign Minister of Germany Frank-Walter Steinmeier stated this in his article for the newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, published on Friday, August 26 (rbc.ua).
According to Steinmeier, by the illegal annexation of Crimea Russia put under question the basic principles of the European security structure in spite of the fact that new forms of confrontation and increased role of new technologies.
"Europe is threatened by a new and dangerous spiral of the arms race", said the head of the German Foreign Ministry. According to him, in this situation it is necessary to start a new debate on the control of conventional weapons in Europe.
As suggested by the head of the German Foreign Ministry, Europe should use the two-pronged strategy, combining deterrence and easing tension in relations with Russia. At the same time, Steinmeier stressed that the offer of cooperation with Russia should be specific, otherwise "the balance will be lost".
According to the German diplomat, peace in Europe has been treated as something for granted in the past two decades. "Now, however, again everything is at stake. A deep chasm formed between Russia and the West, and I fear that we cannot resolve it quickly, even applying the most serious effort", said Steinmeier.
Merkel, Hollande may discuss sanctions against Russia at EU Summit 20 October, 08:56
Linkevicius: Lithuania might extend sanctions against Russia 20 October, 16:30
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:05Two wounded, no dead in Donbas over past day, - Lysenko
- SPORT13:14Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship
- POLITICS12:34Ukraine’s Interpol to conduct internal review of Yanukovych allies’ charges
- UKRAINE CRISIS 11:2333 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY10:33Free Sentsov action at Ukraine’s film festival in Poland
- SPORT09:49Ukraine’s athletes win five medals at World Cup in swimming
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars