Russian President Vladimir Putin denied having any involvement in the hack of the Democratic National Committee in early August, in an interview published Friday, but said it's "important" the contents of the DNC emails were made public.
CNN: Putin denies role in DNC hack, 'important' that information made public
Russian President Vladimir Putin denied having any involvement in the hack of the Democratic National Committee in early August
A US official saying earlier this summer there was "little doubt" Russia was behind the attack.
"I don't know anything about it, and on a state level Russia has never done this," Putin told Bloomberg News. Still, Putin asked if it matters "who hacked this data," and argued that "the important thing is the content that was given to the public."
The Russian president also commented on the US presidential election. Putin said that he has no preference among the two major party candidates, but criticized them for playing "the anti-Russian card."
"I don't think they are setting the best example," he said.
Putin responded to suspicion surrounding Russia's role in the DNC hack by arguing that "there's no need to distract the public's attention from the essence of the problem by raising some minor issues connected with the search for who did it."
"But," he continued, "I want to tell you again -- I don't know anything about it, and on a state level Russia has never done this."
The Russian leader weighed in on the revelations that resulted from the release of DNC data, showing that DNC officials appeared to favor Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign over primary rival Bernie Sanders.
Putin noted that the leaks indicated "specifically that the campaign headquarters worked in the interest of one of the candidates, in this case Mrs. Clinton, rather than equally for all of the Democratic Party candidates."
Read the whole article here
- POLITICS20:26Two Chinese fighters intercepted US reconnaissance aircraft over South China Sea
- SOCIETY19:43Estonia negotiating to join international coalition against ISIS
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:5998 Ukrainian military killed in ATO zone since the beginning of 2017
- SOCIETY18:20Chairman of the Mejlis Chubarov proposes mechanism for return of Crimea
- SOCIETY17:38Families of Ukrainian political prisoners appealed to Macron with request
- SOCIETY16:56More than 10 thousand people took part in 25th Run under chestnuts in Kyiv
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:2020 houses hit in Krasnohorivka, militants are going to resume shelling
- POLITICS15:39Pentagon sent third strike carrier group of US Navy to restrain DPRK
- SOCIETY15:04Around 100 people killed in Philippines fighting
- POLITICS14:26Japan is preparing its own sanctions against North Korea
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:28, 26 May G7 summit kicks off in Sicily
17:21, 26 May IMF names conditions for Ukraine to get another loan