Russian President Vladimir Putin denied having any involvement in the hack of the Democratic National Committee in early August, in an interview published Friday, but said it's "important" the contents of the DNC emails were made public.
09:14 27.03.2017 Mass detentions in Russia are insult to democratic values, - US Department of State
CNN: Putin denies role in DNC hack, 'important' that information made public
Russian President Vladimir Putin denied having any involvement in the hack of the Democratic National Committee in early August
A US official saying earlier this summer there was "little doubt" Russia was behind the attack.
"I don't know anything about it, and on a state level Russia has never done this," Putin told Bloomberg News. Still, Putin asked if it matters "who hacked this data," and argued that "the important thing is the content that was given to the public."
The Russian president also commented on the US presidential election. Putin said that he has no preference among the two major party candidates, but criticized them for playing "the anti-Russian card."
"I don't think they are setting the best example," he said.
Putin responded to suspicion surrounding Russia's role in the DNC hack by arguing that "there's no need to distract the public's attention from the essence of the problem by raising some minor issues connected with the search for who did it."
"But," he continued, "I want to tell you again -- I don't know anything about it, and on a state level Russia has never done this."
The Russian leader weighed in on the revelations that resulted from the release of DNC data, showing that DNC officials appeared to favor Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign over primary rival Bernie Sanders.
Putin noted that the leaks indicated "specifically that the campaign headquarters worked in the interest of one of the candidates, in this case Mrs. Clinton, rather than equally for all of the Democratic Party candidates."
Read the whole article here
- SOCIETY09:14Mass detentions in Russia are insult to democratic values, - US Department of State
- SOCIETY08:31Number of detainees at anti-corruption rallies in Moscow reached 1 thousand people
- UKRAINE CRISIS 07:53Militants shelled Ukrainian positions in ATO zone 88 times
- SOCIETY22:19Donbas conflict: 50 shelling reported in ATO area over the day
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:34Petition to provide Ukraine with lethal weapons registered in Canada
- UA & EU20:56EU demands release of citizens detained in Belarus during protest rally
- POLITICS20:11Russia comments on new US sanctions imposed against it
- SOCIETY19:29US military visited Balakliya and inspected territory, - press officer
- SOCIETY18:42US concerned over dispersal of peaceful rally in Belarus
- RUSSIA18:07Russia will not consider replacing its participant at Eurovision
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:35, 20 March Ukrainian busted upon attempt to ship 10 kg of amber to Poland