About 159 Russian servicemen perished for the last year and a half, - Russia’s Human Rights Council
The Council’s member to appeal to law enforcers
At least 159 Russian troopers lost their lives since January till August 2015, according to the research published by Sergei Krivenko, Head of Military and Civil Relations Commission at the Human Rights Council of the Russian Federation (RBC).
The statistics on servicemen’s deaths is not available in Russia, so the human rights watcher conducted a research based on the data from open sources. The research showed that the most common cause of death was either a murder by comrades-in-arms or suicide, as well as accidents during military drills.
In order to check the information, Kryvenko plans to turn to the Investigation Committee and the Chief Military Prosecutor’s Office.
Neither Russia nor Ukraine or Syria are identified in the investigation’s results.
Russia has repeatedly stated its servicemen are not involved in the Donbas conflict. However, Ukrainian soldiers have been detaining Russian servicemen in the conflict area since its beginning in spring 2014.
Previously, Russian human rights watcher Elena Vasilyeva published a chart on Russia’s military losses in Ukraine. According to it, about 4360 Russian troops perished in Donbas so far. Vasilyeva says Russian Defense Ministry officially confirmed deaths of 900 of those.
Steinmeier: Minsk agreements help to prevent fire in the heart of Europe 25 October, 08:16
Donbas conflict: 40 attacks reported, - ATO HQ 25 October, 09:43
Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics 26 October, 21:49
Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order 24 October, 22:37
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
- FINANCE18:44Groysman provides electronic declaration of his possessions
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case