Kerry: Russia could become a target for ISIS
"If we do not find ways to come together to fight the ISIS, Russia will fight them alone", stated US Secretary of State
Russia could become a target for militants of the terrorist organization "Islamic State of Iraq and Syria", said US Secretary of State John Kerry in an interview to TV channel MSNBC. He called on for joint efforts in fighting ISIS.
"If we do not find ways to come together to fight the ISIS, Russia will fight them alone," the Secretary of State announced. "Russia will become a target. Russia sees people with MANPADS, planes falling from the sky. Together with Assad, they become a new magnet for jihadists."
On the question of whether he considered it possible to establish alliance between the US and Russia against the ISIS in future, he replied: "It's on the table. If we manage to settle the case with Assad and the transition, it is quite possible. But we all need clarity about the way forward."
Kerry informed that "it was agreed" that all interested parties - the US, Russia, France, Germany, Britain, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Jordan and, partly, Iran ("though not directly at the table") will find a way forward - "formula to understand where to move on the political track." In such a situation victory over ISIS "is not only possible, but very likely", said Kerry.
In general, according to US Secretary of State, now there is "a tremendous opportunity to find the way to peace and stability in Syria," although he understands that "it will take years." "Real will not be easy, even with a common goal-oriented coordination against ISIS", stated Kerry.
Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks 21 October, 17:29
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Putin is ready to negotiate with any US president 26 October, 16:26
Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin 24 October, 17:23
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
- FINANCE18:44Groysman provides electronic declaration of his possessions
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case