Cutting energy for Crimea, Ukraine may get same from Russia – expert
Ukraine still holds too warm relations with the northern neighbor, he adds
In response to the energy blockade of Crimea, Russian President Vladimir Putin could threaten to block supplies of coal and gas to Ukraine, announced media expert Mykyta Vasylenko for 112 Ukraine.
"I do not believe that the energy blockade of Crimea is possible because Russia considers Crimea its territory, and the economic blockade would be considered an infringement of its citizens. It is clear that Putin has warned Ukraine about the possibility of energy blockade, and we, in spite of all talking of our government about oncoming energy independence from Russia, continue to consume Russian gas, we continue to use coal, which is mined in militants-controlled areas, and so on. As long as this government maintains such friendly relations with neighbors, no blockade of the Crimea, and especially the return of the Crimea, is possible", he said.
Blockade of goods supply to occupied Crimea began on September 20 at the initiative of the Crimean Tatar community, later joined by "Pravyi Sektor". The entrance to the peninsula is closed only for trucks, passenger cars and pedestrians come to Crimea unhindered. Activists also threaten to block electricity supply to the peninsula.
Putin is ready to negotiate with any US president 26 October, 16:26
Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks 21 October, 17:29
Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin 24 October, 17:23
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
- SOCIETY11:21Savchenko in Moscow walks on Red Square and visits Ukraine’s Embassy
- POLITICS10:32NATO describes rotation of forces in Eastern Europe
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:44Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:05Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas
- SOCIETY08:14Russia provides Netherlands with MH17 materials
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case