Yovanovitch: ‘Crimea will return to Ukraine, the question is when’
U.S. Ambassador draw parallels between the current case of Crimea with Baltic states
‘We believe that Crimea will eventually return to Ukraine. But there’s another very important question – when? Perhaps my answer wouldn’t sound very nice but many in the Western countries see this process as similar to that of the Baltic States in the late 1980s. Over many years, these states were parts of the USSR. The U.S. have never recognized their annexation. Diplomatic missions of the Baltic States worked in Washington all the time, and eventually they brought their independence back’. Marie Yovanovitch, the U.S. Ambassador in Ukraine, said this in an interview with Ukrainska Pravda outlet.
In March 2014, Russia annexed the Ukrainian peninsula, the Autonomous Republic of Crimea. Most of the EU countries and the United States do not recognize the fact of annexation of Crimea by Russia.
Due to this step, the USA introduced economic sanctions against the Russian Federation, as well as individual restrictions against certain Russian individuals and entities.
Source: Ukrainska Pravda
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas