Yelchenko handed his credentials to Ban Ki-moon, - Foreign Ministry
Ukraine’s Permanent Representative to the UN supported the organization’s more active role in solving Donbas conflict
Ukraine’s Ambassador in the UN Volodymyr Yelchenko handed credentials to Ban Ki-moon, press service of Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry reported.
At the meeting, Yelchenko called for the UN’s more active role in settling the Donbas conflict. According to him, one of the possible forms of participation would be deploying the UN peacekeeping mission in eastern Ukraine. “We’re ready to discuss all details of such operation. We invite the UN Secretariat’s assessment mission to evaluate the situation there”, said the diplomat.
In Yelchenko’s words, another step in the UN-Ukraine cooperation would be opening the UN Support Office for Minsk Agreement Implementation. The authority could coordinate a number of essential humanitarian projects, such as clearing mines, given the UN’s great experience in this area.
The Ukrainian diplomat also made some remarks on Ukraine’s agenda in the UN Security Council. As is known, the country was elected as the Council’s non-permanent member in 2016-2017. Yelchenko said that one of Ukraine’s priorities will be strict compliance with the UN Charter, above all the provisions regarding respect for territorial integrity and political independence of states. Besides, he said Ukraine will pay attention to matters of peace and security in Africa and the Middle East, counter-terrorism, protection of civilians in armed conflicts, and non-proliferation of nuclear weapons.
Earlier, Yelchenko said Ukraine during its membership the UN Security Council will raise question of bringing UN peacekeepers to Donbas. Later, he added that deploying a UN peacekeeping mission in Donbas is very expensive, not to mention that Russia will most likely veto the respective document in the UN Security Council.
Ukraine in UN: Occupied Crimea militarization is dangerous for Europe 13 October, 12:38
UNDP continues support for Donbas restoration 16 October, 11:03
UN Security Council votes against Russia resolution on Aleppo 9 October, 13:09
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
- SOCIETY14:03Belavia’s passenger plane forcibly landed in Zhuliany airport in Kyiv
- POLITICS13:13Lutsenko: Every third local prosecutor replaced across Ukraine
- RUSSIA12:28Klykh grew insane due to tortures in Russia, - human rights defender
- RUSSIA11:46Russia presents FIFA World Cup 2018 mascot
- RUSSIA11:01Justice Minister: ‘Kremlin will recognize Sentsov, Kolchenko’s Ukrainian citizenship’
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:17Donbas: ‘Grad’ missile launchers shell Troitske, Luhansk region
- SOCIETY09:30UN Security Council: Assad regime responsible for three chemical attacks
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars