WSJ: Russian Air Force lands air strike on U.S. secret base in Syria
The actual attack took place in June, but the information was released just now, outlet says
The secret base, located in the southeastern Syria, at the border with Jordan, was used by U.S. and British special services as a transfer point for meeting rebels who enjoy support of the Western international coalition (Wall Street Journal). They never spent a single night there for security reasons. The 20 British special ops left the base about 24 hours before the attack.
The Russian military aircraft reportedly used cluster bombs during the air strike.
WSJ’s sources reported that the Russian military contacted Pentagon, saying that they attacked the base deliberately – they thought that the base was controlled by ISIS militants. However, a source in the U.S. intelligence said that it was absolutely clear that the base didn’t belong to the ISIS, as the outposts have unique constructive features that are not typical for militants.
After Pentagon warned the Russian air force that the base is being used by U.S. and British military, Russian aircraft delivered another attack on it – some 90 minutes after the warning. The U.S. pilots tried to contact Russians via special communication channel, but no response followed.
Putin is ready to negotiate with any US president 26 October, 16:26
EU foreign ministers to urge Assad and his allies to come to trial 17 October, 08:30
American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning 23 October, 18:54
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas conflict: 21 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- POLITICS23:07Yanukovych can not be interrogated due to absence of video conferencing system
- FINANCE22:17Poland Deputy PM: Doubling of minimum salary in Ukraine is unpleasant surprise
- POLITICS21:34Russia is not re-elected to UN Human Rights Council
- SOCIETY20:43Savchenko’s declaration: Sister’s cars and mother’s land
- UA & EU20:04Schulz: European Parliament is on Ukraine’s side
- SOCIETY19:14Halloween is coming in Ukraine
- UA & EU18:43Tusk: EU needs to complete internal procedures for granting visa liberation to Ukraine
- UKRAINE CRISIS 17:59Russian aviation drill airstrikes in Belarus airspace near Ukrainian border, - intelligence
- POLITICS17:29Russian forces may reach Tallinn and Riga in 60 hours max, - RAND report
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case