We need relations with Russia but Alliance will support Ukraine
NATO plans to restore Russia-NATO Council
Secretary General of NATO Jens Stoltenberg expressed his hope for constructive cooperation with Russia, despite existing controversies.
“Russia is our largest neighbor”, - said Stoltenberg announcing NATO’s annual report on Thursday.
“We need relations with Russia that would be based on mutual respect. There is no controversy between strengthening positions of NATO and cooperation with Russia. Only being strong, we will be able to develop fruitful cooperation”, - claimed Stoltenberg.
Secretary General of NATO said that the Alliance will continue to support Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova to help them “better oppose external pressure”.
“We consider holding Russia-NATO council after a long-term freeze in relations, since the time has come”, - pointed out Stoltenberg.
It has been reported earlier that the Alliance decided to restore Russia-NATO council, thus securing political dialogue with the Russian Federation.
Russia-NATO council was terminated in April 2014, stopping military cooperation of the parties. The reasons were annexation of Crimea by Russia and armed conflict in eastern Ukraine.
Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds 20 October, 21:30
Sweden: Russia aggravates situation in the region 11 October, 12:38
NATO describes rotation of forces in Eastern Europe 27 October, 10:32
Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine 25 October, 17:32
- SOCIETY11:14Ukraine marks anniversary of 1944 release from the Nazis
- RUSSIA10:33Putin: Russia may resume gas supplies to Ukraine any moment
- POLITICS10:02UN starts discussion on complete ban of nuclear weapons
- POLITICS09:15Ukraine, France discuss placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:30Donbas: 54 attacks on Ukrainian positions over last 24 hours
- POLITICS07:50Klimkin: Normandy Four foreign ministers could meet in late November
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case