US to produce a modernized atomic bomb
Serial production launch is scheduled for 2020
US National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) gave its authorization to start the preparatory phase to the production of the modernized nuclear B61-12 bomb. This was announced in a post on NNSA web-site.
"At the moment, B61 has the most outdated component base in US arsenal. The resource extension program will extend the life of the system for at least twenty years", - said the head of NNSA Frank Klotz.
The work on the engineering stage of the program was carried out during 4 years. Serial production launch is scheduled for 2020.
B61 is a major thermonuclear weapon of the strategic US nuclear forces. It is a modification of nuclear weapon developed in 1960s. It is assumed that the B61-12 will replace nuclear bombs of the 3rd, 4th, 7th and 10th versions, which are in the service of US Air Force today.
US is planning to deploy B61-12 bombs to European NATO bases.
Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds 20 October, 21:30
NATO Secretary General: Those responsible for MH17 tragedy should be punished 29 September, 08:44
Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine 25 October, 17:32
Sweden: Russia aggravates situation in the region 11 October, 12:38
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 12 attacks by Russia-backed militants since Monday evening
- POLITICS22:42German investigators to provide more information on Sheremet’s murder, - Ukrainian police
- POLITICS21:14NATO official: Alliance and Ukraine to enhance cooperation in security sector
- SOCIETY19:49Lutsenko: Heavenly Hundred murders may be considered by Hague
- FINANCE19:02Doing Business 2017 rating: Ukraine rises to 80th position
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:18Stratfor: Motorola murdered either by militants or Russian special services
- POLITICS17:32Stoltenberg: NATO stands with Ukraine
- UA & EU16:48MEP: EU-Ukraine visa free regime could be voted before November 24
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas