Jovanovic: Ukraine showed more progress in two years than it did for last decade
Marie Jovanovic delivered a speech at the U.S. Senate
The U.S. official, soon to be appointed the ambassador in Ukraine, commented on the course of reforms in the country. She delivered the speech at the session of the U.S. Senate Foreign Affairs Committee on Tuesday.
‘Ukraine made more progress in terms of reforms for the last two years than it did for the previous 23 years of independence. So I share special optimism regarding the course of reforms in Ukraine in this year, taking into account several key achievements that took place, since the country’s parliamentary coalition and the government were re-shaped’, Jovanovic said.
The U.S. diplomat added that Ukraine managed to submit changes to the Constitution, which foresee more independence for the judicial system; raised tariffs for power supplies and fired ex-Prosecutor General who had lost public trust. ‘These achievements in reforms are even more impressive, keeping in mind that they took place in conditions of the Russian aggression’, Jovanovic said, concluding that ‘a successful Ukraine is the best protection from the Russian aggression in Europe’.
What to expect from EU-Ukraine summit? 11 October, 13:53
Tusk: EU Council startled by success of Ukraine’s economy 29 September, 11:45
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars