US admit a $400 million cash payment to Iran
The State Department admit a $400m cash payment to Iran and states it was used as "leverage" in the release of five US prisoners
U.S. Department of State admit a $400m cash payment to Iran and states it was used as "leverage" in the release of five US prisoners. Spokesman John Kirby commented on the cash paid to Iran. He stresses that five Americans held in Iran were released in January in exchange for seven detained Iranians. The payment was negotiated separately from the release, but said it was withheld until the Americans had left Iran, according to BBC.
"We were able to conclude multiple strands of diplomacy within a 24-hour period," Mr Kirby told reporters. "We deliberately leveraged that moment."
$400m dollars in cash were delivered to Iran by an unmarked plane on the same day.
The reason for the new State Department comments was the publication by the Wall Street Journal The $400 Million: Legal but Not Right from the 4th of August, which stated that the money drop depended on the fate of prisoners Obama's press secretary Josh Eearnest denied the fact of ransom. White House also stated that the payment took place in the framework of long-standing financial litigation with Iran, which dates back to the 1979 Islamic revolution.
"The United States under President Obama has never paid a ransom to release unjustly detained Americans in Iran. We will not pay ransoms in the future ", - Obama's press secretary Josh Eearnest.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:58Steinmeier: EU might fall
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:15Bezsmertny: Real ‘disengagement line’ and one defined in Minsk agreements are different
- POLITICS09:28Chyigoz case: Another court session to be held on Monday
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:46Donbas: Mines hit Ukrainian positions in Luhansk region
- SPORT08:00Usyk gets WBO Fighter of the Year award
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars