UNICEF summarized Orlando Bloom’s visit to Donbas
The Hollywood actor and UN’s goodwill ambassador visited eastern Ukraine recently
The UNICEF said the actor came to Donbas to turn the international attention to humanitarian problems of the children residing in war-torn areas.
“Bloom visited classrooms that are located only three kilometers away from the division line; they went under artillery fire. About 580 thousand children need urgent assistance; some 230 thousand more had to leave their dwellings. Every fifth school or kindergarten in the region were damaged or destroyed”, the UNICEF reported at its website.
During his stay in Donbas, Orlando Bloom met with schoolchildren who seek help from the UNICEF and psychologists; they help them recover after shock they suffered due to the military conflict.
“I met children like 11 year old Liana who hid in the basement of their school for almost two weeks, in freezing conditions, without lighting or heat, while shelling devastated the classrooms above,” said Orlando Bloom, who first travelled to see UNICEF’s work in 2007. “Now, after surviving some of the most terrifying experiences life could possibly throw at them, all they want is to get back to the safety and routine of school and plan for their futures.”
“Education creates figurative “bricks” for the children to re-build their lives in a safe and beneficial environment”, the actor said.
Last week, social networks users reported that Orlando Bloom visited Donbas. His route included Sloviansk, Kramatorsk, Svyatohirsk and Svitlodarsk, all of which had been released from pro-Russian militants during the conflict.
33 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ 23 October, 11:23
Donetsk militants hand over another 23 hostages 19 October, 15:31
OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas 21 October, 20:31
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
- POLITICS09:28Chyigoz case: Another court session to be held on Monday
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:46Donbas: Mines hit Ukrainian positions in Luhansk region
- SPORT08:00Usyk gets WBO Fighter of the Year award
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars