UN: World’s largest record of number of refugees
Number of people forced to leave their place of residence as result of military conflict has reached its highest levels in world’s history
According to the UNIAN, 65.3 million people became refugees, asylum seekers, or internally displaced persons by the end of 2015. Over the past year the number had risen by 5 million people.
Thus, about every 113th person on the planet is the refugee. Half of all refugees are people from Syria, Afghanistan and Somalia.
About 35 thousand refugees arrived in Europe by land, and more than 1 million internally displaced people have crossed the border with Europe by sea last year, according to the International Organization for Migration. Other agencies referred to much higher figures.
The preferred destinations for most migrants are the rich northern countries, such as Germany or Sweden.
Despite the fact that the problem of refugees in Europe are at the center of public attention, 86% of immigrants received shelter in low- and middle-income countries.
Germany received the largest number of asylum applications. According to UN opinion, it reflects the country's willingness to accept the refugees.
UNDP continues support for Donbas restoration 16 October, 11:03
Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order 24 October, 22:37
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
- SOCIETY14:30Sushchenko needs to be exchanged, - lawyer
- SOCIETY13:30Moscow court rejects appeal on Sushchenko’s arrest
- SOCIETY12:43112 Ukraine becomes best news TV channel 2016
- SOCIETY11:21Savchenko in Moscow walks on Red Square and visits Ukraine’s Embassy
- POLITICS10:32NATO describes rotation of forces in Eastern Europe
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:44Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:05Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas
- SOCIETY08:14Russia provides Netherlands with MH17 materials
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case