UN urges Russia to save Mejlis of Crimean Tatars
The United Nations expressed concern about human rights violations in Crimea
“The human rights situation in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, the status of which is prescribed by UN General Assembly resolution 68/262, remains very difficult, with Crimean Tatar demonstrators facing prosecution and Crimean Tatars being arrested for alleged membership in ‘terrorist’ organizations. In a significant and worrying development, on 15 February, the prosecutor of Crimea filed a request with the supreme court of Crimea to designate the Mejlis, the self-governing body of the Crimean Tatars, as an extremist organization and to ban its activities”, reads the report by Fiona Frazer, Deputy Head of the United Nations Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine (Interfax-Ukraine).
The UN recommends that de-facto authorities of Crimea let the members of international organizations, including the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, visit Crimea so as to allow them perform in line with their respective commitments.
The international human rights watchers point out that Russia should do everything possible to not disband the Mejlis and to stop persecutions of its members. Besides, they urge Crimean “government” to stop transportation of Ukrainian citizens, detained in Crimea, to detention facilities in Russia, which breaches conditions of UN General Assembly 68/262.
Ukraine in UN: Occupied Crimea militarization is dangerous for Europe 13 October, 12:38
PACE adopts two resolutions on Ukraine 13 October, 08:35
Panov and Zahtey in Lefortovo 14 October, 12:49
Ukraine sues Russia for illegal capture of its gas assets in Crimea 19 October, 11:27
- POLITICS17:29Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks
- SOCIETY16:40Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russia may have plan to threaten journalists
- UKRAINE TOP 16:30Searches at Kseniya Babych: after 3 hours an interview at the Investigation Committee is over
- POLITICS15:58Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine
- UKRAINE TOP 15:18Searches at Kseniya Babych: 112 Ukraine TV channel statement
- POLITICS14:44Lutsenko: 20 searches at a time conducted by Ukrainian law enforcers
- UKRAINE TOP 13:54Searches at Kseniya Babych: it is dangerous for Ukrainian journalists to stay in Moscow, - Feygin
- RUSSIA13:22Russia refuses to hand Sentsov over to Ukraine
- POLITICS12:32Searches at Kseniya Babych: No media freedom in Russia for long time already, - Gerashchenko
- UKRAINE TOP 11:51Searches in Moscow flat of Ukrainian journalist Kseniya Babych
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars