UN Secretary General supports Ukrainian side in Savchenko’s case
Ukraine’s Permanent Representative in the UN Volodymyr Yelchenko met with Ban Ki-moon in New York on March 22
The meeting took place at the initiative of the Ukrainian side. Yelchenko informed the UN Secretary General on the pronunciation of sentence in Nadiya Savchenko’s case. The press service of Ukraine’s office at the UN reported this.
Yelchenko stressed that the wrongful decision of the Russian court to put Savchenko to jail for 22 years is based on the hoax provided by the investigation bodies of the Russian Federation. Ukraine’s Permanent Representative stressed that the violation of universal norms of law by Russia, as well as neglecting of Savchenko’s immunity as parliamentary member of PACE, became a clear signal to the international community that ignoring the basic principles and norms by a UN Security Council member is unacceptable.
Yelchenko added that Savchenko’s case, just like cases of other Ukrainian citizens illegally detained in Russia clearly shows there is no justice in Russia – “only hybrid trials, as elements of war against Ukraine and general human values”.
Ban Ki-moon, in turn, expressed concern about the situation with Savchenko’s imprisonment and said Ukraine could count on his support. The UN Secretary General said that this issue will be raised during next meetings with Russia’s top officials.
Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order 24 October, 22:37
Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations 24 October, 21:04
Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin 24 October, 17:23
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain